Alpha Esquires is a mentoring program for young men in grades 7-12 and currently enrolled in schools in Rho Sigma Lambda Chapter’s catchment area. Our mentors promote leadership development, career awareness, community involvement, educational planning, oral communication skills, health and social awareness. Each Esquire is partnered with a RSL Chapter mentor.
The program is designed to enhance the performance of participants in all subject matters, with a strong emphasis on Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Mathematics (STEAM). Our ultimate goal is for each Esquire to become contributing members of society. When an Alpha Esquire completes the program, he will be prepared to take the SAT/ACT college entrance exams, and be aware of how to successfully navigate the college application process.
The Mission of the Alpha Esquires is to provide college and career readiness activities for middle and high school aged young men so that they will become productive and contributing members of society.
Our vision is to increase the achievement levels of minority young men, while providing a variety of resources and platforms that will make a positive impact in their lives spiritually, educationally, physically, and mentally.
The Alpha Esquires program meets one a month on Thursday. These meetings will consist of formal meetings and activities promoting academic achievement and college preparation.
KEY COMPONENTS OF THE PROGRAM
- The Alpha Esquires program focuses on developing a college portfolio and developing skills to handle business matters and social issues. This includes college preparation, financial empowerment, male/female relationships, and etiquette seminars and workshops. Additionally, the young men have access to 50+ professional men from all career paths.
- The Alpha Esquires program participates in service projects, such as The March for Babies, The Henry County Food Bank, A Friend’s House Toy Drive, and …. The Esquires will learn the importance of serving others.
- All Esquires participate in academic tracking so that the mentors can help the young men achieve their goals. Esquires regularly attend tutoring sessions and test preparation sessions for all state mandated assessments, the SAT, and the ACT. Esquires develop their portfolios toward a high school Grade Point Average that makes them eligible for the Randall D. Ponder Memorial Scholarship, the Brother Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Oratorical Scholarship, and other scholarships not affiliated with the chapter.
- All Esquires are able to participate in various field trips, team building exercises, and other activities to help build the bond between the young men and the mentors.
PROPOSED ACTIVITIES FOR THE ESQUIRES
All activities for the Alpha Esquires are specifically designed to enhance the skills of the young men to help them become contributing members of society.
- Parliamentary Procedures (Robert’s Rules of Order)
- Project Alpha (Male sexual responsibility)
- The March for Babies (March of Dimes)
- Go to High School Go to College (College and Career Readiness Workshops: Application Process)
- Alpha Day at the Capital
- Southern Region Education and Leadership Institute (Grades 10-12)
- Writing Workshops
- College Tours
- Technology Workshop
- Young Toastmasters Club (Public Speaking and Oral Communication)
- Table Etiquette and Manners
- Dress for Success (Situational Appropriate Attire)
- Meeting elected officials
- Financial Empowerment (Savings Account)
- Feed the Hungry
- Religious Activities
- Entrepreneurial and other Business Programs
- Self Defense
- Dating Etiquette
- Basic Hygiene and Personal Grooming
- Social Media Etiquette
- Bully Prevention
- Respect for Womanhood
- Peer Mediation
- Book Club and Reading Proficiency
The activities listed above are by no means the only activities. There will be field trip opportunities, plays, movie nights, and other activities designed to enhance the skills of the Esquires.
ALPHA ESQUIRES PROGRAM GUIDELINES
All applicants must meet the following criterion to be considered for the Alpha Esquire program:
- Be a male in grades 7-12
- Be familiar with and interested in the goals and objectives of the Alpha Esquire program
- Complete the Alpha Esquires Membership Application
- Review the Essay Question and submit a 300 word minimum response
Alpha Esquires will meet monthly. In order for an Esquire to receive the maximum benefits of the program, he must be present and willing to participate. Active and engaged Esquires and families are preferred.
All education enhancement activities are treated as business sessions. Esquires are required to attend these sessions wearing a white shirt, black tie, black pants (slacks or Dockers) and black dress shoes.
Esquires are required to wear an Alpha Esquire polo, tee shirt, or other shirt provided by the RSL Chapter. This will be enforced without deviation during field trips, as we want every Esquire to be readily identifiable.
Esquires are required to provide 9 and 18 week grade and behavior reports each semester.