The Randall D. Ponder Memorial Scholarship Fund
The following criteria will be used to evaluate the graduating high school seniors and matriculating college students for the Randall D. Ponder Memorial Scholarships:
- Must be a graduating, male high school senior from the Alpha Phi Alpha, Rho Sigma Lambda Chapter service area attending any 4-year nstitution of higher learning. Must reside and attend a high-school located in South Metropolitan Atlanta (including Henry, Fayette, Spalding, Rockdale, Newton, Butts, South Fulton, and the southern portion of Clayton counties).
- Must be a male college student that has completed at least one full academic year. Residence within the South Metropolitan Atlanta area is not a requirement for the matriculating college recipient.
- Must complete the Rho Sigma Lambda Foundation Scholarship Program Application.
- Application packages must be received on time without exception.
- Academic record (min 2.7 GPA on a 4.0 scale or equivalent). Submission of an official school transcript will be required.
- Graduating high school seniors must provide a copy of the acceptance letter from the college/university to which they plan to enroll. The copy must be enclosed with the application.
- Submittal of one (1) essay from a list of topics provided by the Scholarship Committee. All essays will be a minimum of 300 words and not exceed 350 words. Essays must be typed utilizing Times New Roman styled font size 12, double-spaced, and error free.
- Submittal of two (2) signed letters of recommendation, one from a school official such as an administrator, guidance counselor, department chair, or academic advisor and one from a person in the community (letters from relatives are strictly prohibited). Must include typed two contact numbers, e-mail address, and full name.
- Provide a brief synopsis of your extracurricular, civic, and/or community service involvement that you would like to highlight.
- Successful completion of an in-person panel interview by the Scholarship Committee.
- All submissions that are wrinkled, stained, handwritten, or unprotected will be eliminated from the process. Please return items bound in a report folder or 3-ring binder tabulated as follows:
- Completed application;
- Official transcript;
- College/University Acceptance Letter (High School Seniors Only)
- Two Signed Letters of Recommendation
- Brief Synopsis of Extracurricular/ Civic/ Community Service Involvement