“The Randall D. Ponder Memorial Scholarship”
- DEADLINE for the Randal D. Ponder Memorial Scholarship applications is April 30, 2016 at 11:59 PM. The scholarship is $1,000.
- Refer to criteria below for eligibility requirements. Refer to application process below for a list of the supporting documents needed (i.e., reference forms, evidence of Grade Point Average, etc.). Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Type or print legibly. Illegible applications will be returned to you. You may also download a copy of the application online: rsl1906.org.
- If you have any questions about the application process, please contact Mr. Santana T. Flanigan, Director of Educational Activities at RSL1906@yahoo.com.
PURPOSE: In an effort to provide financial support to deserving high school seniors, the Rho Sigma Lambda Chapter of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc. has established the Randal D. Ponder Memorial Scholarship. Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc. develops leaders, promotes brotherhood and academic excellence, while providing service and advocacy for our communities. This scholarship is named in honor of one of the Chapter’s Founders who was a trailblazer in the area of education in the Henry County area.
AWARD COMPONENTS: Each year, the Rho Sigma Lambda Chapter will select high school seniors who have been accepted to an institution of higher learning who have demonstrated academic excellence, community service, and leadership in their schools and churches.
- Applicant must be a African American Male Senior enrolled in a public or private high school in Butts, Henry, Clayton, Spalding, Newton, Rockdale, Lamar, or Fayette counties.
- Applicant must be a senior level student as defined through credit hours at their high school.
- Applicant must show a proven record of academic excellence.
- Prior to receiving the scholarship award, the winner must show proof of enrollment in a 4-year college or university. Acceptable proof includes but is not be limited to an official enrollment letter from the school register, copy of student’s class schedule, or receipt of paid tuition and/or deposit.
- Applicant must have a minimum, cumulative Grade Point Average of 2.5 or higher on a 4.0 scale.
- Applicant must be a United States Citizen or permanent resident with a permanent resident ID card or current passport.
Applicant must submit the following items:
- Completed application form (if handwritten, please print legibly).
- Two (2) character references in the form of a letter of recommendation.
- A copy of their most recent transcript with cumulative Grade Point Average.
- Personal Essay. In your essay, please answer the question on the enclosed essay form.
If you were elected President of the United States in 2016, what issue would you address on your first day in office? (1,000 word maximum)
- The high school guidance counselor or school administrator must sign the completed application, along with the student.
- Applicant must agree to a personal interview with the selection committee via telephone, upon completion of the application.
DEADLINE for the application is April 30, 2016. Applications postmarked after this date will not be considered. NO emailed, incomplete applications will be considered.
ANNOUNCEMENT of Scholarship Recipients: May 2016
SPECIAL PROVISION: Scholarship funds will be issued in the name of the recipient
Please email completed application to:
Mr. Santana T. FLanigan
Director of Educational Activities
Rho Sigma Lambda Chapter